Friday, December 28, 2007

my home for the holidays

with my departure for india coming so soon on the heels of the holiday season (jan. 1st to be exact! and yes, i am panicking), i decided not to go home for christmas this year. i missed two christmases on the mission, but this was my first year really on my own. and, though i love my family dearly, it was surprisingly pleasant, and sort of liberating, to have my own little holiday. being the adult that i (sort of) am, i went out and bought my first christmas tree (i heart big lots!), hung up stockings, put lights on my ficus tree and, voila! the house was a christmas paradise.




staying in salt lake for christmas also meant i got to attend the big christmas eve dinner at uncle bob's. the weather around here on christmas eve was nasty, but plenty of extended family made the trip up to 11th avenue, and it was a raucous party indeed, with lots of food...




cute kids...








... and good conversation with relatives i love.









oh, there was also a little talent show, with lots of piano playing, singing and dancing and some air guitar from the aforementioned cute kids, as well as some adults (not the air guitar so much, or the dancing. but some singing for sure). uncle bob closed out the night by reading the nativity story from the bible, and we all sang "silent night" before heading home to wait for santa.







(as a side note i would like to say that it was so nice to go to a big party at uncle bob's and not have to worry anymore about living in the aftermath of that party. ah, sweet liberty.)

my family's tradition is to stay up late watching movies on christmas eve, open presents just after midnight and then sleep in christmas morning. which is exactly what i did. and it was heavenly. (my family, i discovered when i spoke to them the nexty day, wimped out and opened their presents at 10p.m. christmas eve and then went to bed.)

at any rate, it was a completely relaxing and fulfilling holiday, with lots of time to enjoy and reflect on the true gifts of the christmas season. i hope yours was just as merry.

2 comments:

Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Geesh! No pictures of me! I almost want to be angry! Plenty of pics of Sam and Jeddy, though, so it's not all bad.

Anonymous said...

My brother Morgan told me about your blog. I'm waiting for the rode-and-elephant pictures! Meantime, since the last time I saw everybody together was at Gram's 95th birthday party, I'm trying to decipher who's who in those pictures and not getting the cousins' kids straight except for a few.

I ran into your Mom at the Salt Lake Airport while you were waiting to pick her up and I was on my way home to California. Random chance that you know really isn't...it was very cool. Anyway, hello!