Wednesday, December 12, 2007

i love technology, but not as much as you, you see

my late adoption of all things technological has been most marked in my complete avoidance of the online social networking world. myspace? nope. facebook? i don't think so. ldslinkup? no thanks. this shunning of the virtual world was born mostly from a healthy sense of moral superiority (i am strong and can resist!) but also, truthfully, from a total fear of the online world. i have enough trouble managing my actual 3D life... trying to keep track of a life that exists on my computer seemed like too great a challenge. not to mention my unhealthy fears of identity theft and being instantly accessible to everyone on the planet. (i should add, however, that i was not above secretly signing on under other people's online identities to do, um, research on people i know.) anywho, i was increasingly behind the game for party invitations and wedding announcements, among other things, because of my absence from the interweb, and literally everyone i know had hopped on the wagon. so yesterday, i snapped. the reason still remains unclear. maybe i was emboldened by my step into the blogosphere. maybe there were too many invitations to join to ignore. maybe the stars aligned and it was just time. but, i did it. i joined facebook! and i am now totally overwhelmed. walls, hatching eggs, my status, a whole new inbox to manage... it is going to be a chore to take it all in. luckily, my incredibly techo-savvy friend, em, is going to show me the ropes. (maybe i should give her a title. like my online manager or something. i am going to think on this.)

anyway, the important thing is, i did it for you! so i could keep in touch with all my friends, near and far, and be in the technology loop forevermore. so, come and find me on facebook. i only have one rule. we still have to be friends in the real world, too.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thank you, thank you!! :)