Tuesday, May 6, 2008

vernal equinox

here are some things i love about being an adult, particularly an unattached adult with very few responsibilities to anyone but myself. i can have a milkshake and french fries for dinner. i can leave my room messy. i can buy irresponsibly expensive shoes. i can go to movies on weekdays. i can stay up way past my bedtime watching cliffhanger episode after cliffhanger episode of "battlestar galactica." and, i can decide on the spur of the moment to go to vernal and visit the vanderlindens, some of my most favorite people from the mission, and some of my most favorite people on this planet earth.




in planning this weekend getaway i discovered that there are many a vernal-naysayer in the world. well, you should all know that there is plenty to do out there. a dinosaur museum? check. hiking and biking at flaming gorge? check. hilarious small-town movie theater? check. even more hilarious small-town gossip? check. see? more than you thought, huh?

the vanderlindens and i had so much catching up to do, we didn't get to most of those things, but we did take a lovely hike through dry fork canyon to see the indian petroglyphs. we're not sure what they mean, but we did learn that the V-shaped human form is called the "vernal man" because it is most prevalent in that area. vernal even has a native american human form named after it. and you thought it was boring!





































i rounded out the trip by stuffing myself with sister vanderlinden's famous pretzel dessert, and visiting my cousin natalie and her adorable family on my way out of town. and driving home i didn't even come close to hitting a single deer. aah, adulthood.

2 comments:

imitate said...

Having been a resident of Vernal for my formative high-school years, and a visitor thereafter until the folks moved to Idaho just a year ago, I can attest that Vernal is, in fact, a lovely place to visit. You didn't even mention Fantasy Canyon, Split Mountain, or the places you can find (but you're not SUPPOSED to take) all manner of fossils. But having said that, I'm going to reiterate that it is a lovely place to VISIT. I just wouldn't want to live there (again).

Anonymous said...

I see that my aunt has already given the verbal tour of her Vernal years! Go Amy and yay for Frances!!