Tuesday, May 20, 2008

frances cake, take five

in retrospect, i should have written the past two posts in the opposite order, because before marc made a heroic repair of my bike, he came over for a night of delicious frances cake. it was actually marc who introduced me to millie in the first place, so i am forever in his debt. and, he also taught me how to clip in and out of my pedals, so i really owe him my life. he is a for-real hardcore cyclist, but is willing to abide by my three rules: no judging, no making me do stuff, and no leaving me behind. so we get along just fine.

marc and i made carrot cake, and i have to say that it was possibly the most delicious carrot cake i have ever had in all my live-long days. and not a thing went wrong with the recipe. we remembered the eggs, the frosting was the perfect consistency, and we didn't bake it for too long. i think i might be getting the hang of this!




here are some things you should know about marc: he is from texas and has given up talking to his dad about global warming. he is the youngest in his family. he wants to ride his bike across central america. he has a freakishly good memory, especially when it comes to people he has met and the circumstances under which he met them, but he tries to hide it so he doesn't seem like a stalker. he has no sense of smell. he has 14 bikes in his apartment, and a sewing machine. he usually moves every six months.

he also is not super into the idea of eating cake out of people's hands.



but he is always happy to take some home.




it is a good thing we got frances cake in when we did, because marc is actually moving to alaska. as we just became friends, this makes me sort of sad. but we have squeezed in a lot of friendship since we met, so i think it might stick. it is also a good thing we got frances cake in when we did because marc returned my tupperware with a jar of homemade strawberry jam inside, and it was delicious. a perfect end to a perfect frances cake.

2 comments:

Oertel said...

Marc is my friend, kind of. And his friend Laura is my friend from 9 years ago. Small world, eh. Thought I'd add that for your experimental purposes. ;)

frances said...

do you mean laura stott? because she is also my friend. all these connections! really, i think you and i were destined...