Tuesday, March 25, 2008

salt lake, it's my city

my old friend, peter, and some friends of his were in town over the weekend for some skiing. we were supposed to meet up, but i was laid low with a nasty bug i most certainly caught on my horrific return flight from new york and could barely make it out of the house for most of the weekend, so i had to settle for giving peter and co. recommendations on various activities and, more importantly, restaurants.

now, most people do not come to slc expecting to enjoy good food (peter and co. certainly didn't) but i sent them to two of my favorite local haunts, mazza at ninth and ninth (where i had just enjoyed a delicious dinner with my wonderful father) and that old stand-by, the red iguana. and everyone raved about both of them! i felt totally cool and not just because i had made yummy and well-received food suggestions. it really drove home the feeling that a) salt lake has become my home and b) salt lake is not a bad home to have. i was so proud of myself that i could send them somewhere (even two somewheres) that i could be proud of in this crazy city. a crazy city i have come, against all odds, to know and love. and that is, existentially-speaking, a pretty good place to "be."

by monday i was feeling more myself, so we rounded out the weekend of fine dining with the world's best sandwiches at toasters. three for three.



and then, they were off. but i think, against odds of their own, they'll be back. just like the rest of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Frances -- I'm so glad I helped make SLC your city! :-). It was great to see you. Who knew Salt Lake had such good food? Glad to hear you're feeling better, and keep in touch.