Thursday, June 26, 2008

this is real, and it's fabulous!

doing some very serious journalistic internet research yesterday i stumbled upon this amazing article. yes, the sub-headline really reads, "harnessing the untapped power of breast motion."

with that introduction, i can't imagine any of you not wanting to read this article for yourselves. but in case you are at work or your mom's house and pulling up an article about boobs might get you in trouble (or make you blush), i'll give you a quick run-down. basically, the article explores the possibility of converting the motion of a woman's breasts into energy that could power, say, an ipod. as it happens, the breast moves along three separate axes (up and down, side to side and front to back), and a poorly-supported d-cup can move up to 35 inches while a woman exercises. who knew?!? so, as the author points out, "why not put the girls to work?"

the article also sheds some light on the hygienic practices of scientists, or maybe just their lack of exposure to women and their undergarments. consider the following exchange:

'so you can generate enough energy to power an ipod?' i asked.
'definitely,' wang said.
i asked wang if this bra would be machine-washable.
'you don't need to wash a bra!' he said.
i disagreed.

all of this could certainly be seen by larger-busted women as a sort of karmic payback for the annoyance of exercising with big breasts. i, myself, wouldn't know anything about that as my particular cup size is used in this very article as an example of one that would not, and i quote, "get that ipod up and running."

you can't win them all, right?

6 comments:

Ems said...

oddly, just today I read an article on treehugger about that very thing. boobs!

imitate said...

I didn't read the article, as I am, in fact, at work, but being a woman of substantial breast size, I can say for a surety two things: 1. Yes, bras should DEFINITELY be washed. Mine is Downy-fresh just this morning, even. And 2. Use my large breasts to power my ipod?? I would much, much rather have smaller boobs and let the magic of batteries power my ipod. Seriously. I find the whole concept ridiculous.

Oertel said...

I think that my favorite is that you say "who knew?" but speaking as one who could get an ipod overcharged... yeah, sick, but true... I knew. And I don't know your friend "imitate" but I think I like her.

Joelle said...

Ahh, the blog does its job again. After having a not so great past few days, I really needed a laugh and like a great supportive bra, this blog is just what I needed. thanks for being there :)

Peggy said...

Ahh, I love what you can find on the internet! To think all of these years I have been letting so much energy go untapped! Trust me - I could have provided enough energy for a small country. Thanks for the laugh Francie!
Peggs

Jesica said...

Frances, that was the most hilarious and amazing article. I would totally buy one.