Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the f(eminism) word

ever since coming home from denver (can one come home from home?) i've wanted to tell you about the rocky mountain retreat, an annual gathering of wonderfully broad-minded and free-thinking mormon women who are devoted to spirituality and truth. some of us call ourselves feminists and some of us do not, but one truth we all believe is that women should have every and equal opportunity to excel, to discover and develop talents that help themselves and everyone else. call it whatever you want, but i think that's an ideal everyone can (or at least should) get behind.

it's also an enormous and complex mission that i could write about for days and still feel like i had barely explored. which is, i think, why i have put off writing about it at all. where to begin? where to go? so i've decided to take baby steps (which seems the best way to approach all things enormous and complex) and tackle one small piece at a time.

first, let me say this. i do call myself a feminist. i didn't always, but i think that was only because i didn't realize the way i lived my life and expected to be treated was something out of the ordinary that needed a name of its own. i grew up in a family and environment where equality was a given, where moms and dads both worked and both did the dishes and both said smart and funny things at the dinner table, where boys and girls were both right and both wrong, both got masters degrees and both cuddled babies. i loved transformers as much as my little ponies and have no memory of ever thinking i couldn't do something, or should do something else, because i was a girl. it wasn't until college that i realized how unusual and lucky my life had been.

for this year's retreat, my mom asked me to sit on a panel about, basically, generational perspectives of feminism. at first i was totally jazzed because "sitting on a panel" sounds really important and grown-up and like i'm really smart and interesting, and every time someone asked me why i was going to denver i would say, "well, i'm sitting on this panel..." but then i got really stressed out because i didn't know what to say and i felt really uninformed and unqualified and it made me pull funny faces and gave me a little bit of a tummy ache. but, it was really fine and completely compelling and i learned a lot, from and about myself and the other women there as well.

in fact, i could probably write a dozen posts (or one super duper incredibly long one) just about the panel. but, baby steps. so i am going to start with this idea, which is a really pertinent one, i think.

one woman in the audience raised her hand and brought up the question of girls in junior high and high school using their bodies and their sexuality to exact and exert power over other people: teachers, friends, boyfriends, parents, even other girls. it's the oldest formula in the book and has endless expressions, but usually goes something like this: cleavage+short skirt-discernible intelligence and/or personality=success. being flat-chested (sternum all the way, baby!) and otherwise generally body-conscious, and being basically incapable of reining in my oversized personality (not to mention my crackling wit and brilliance), this is not a system it has ever occurred to me to employ. but, i have also lived long enough as a girl to understand that this is a real temptation and problem, no doubt borne from a belief that there is no other power a woman can wield. and i am just as much a slave to hair straighteners and mascara and new clothes and cute shoes as the next person (probably even moreso on that last one).

so, what to do?

the ideal solution would be, of course, to root out our damaging, body-obsessed popular culture and replace it with a healthy, nurturing, realistic vision of women and womanhood. seeing as that might take a minute though, i struck upon this idea for the meantime.

it's all well and good to tell girls they shouldn't rely on their bodies and their sexuality to get what they want. but, when you take something away, you have to put something in its place. a bad habit is much easier to get rid of if there is a better habit waiting in the wings to fill the hole. think nicotine gum or words like "fetch." and i don't think this case is any different. if we don't want girls to rely on short skirts and empty heads to get ahead, we have to give them something else to use.

which got me thinking, what is it that we emphasize and value about women, about each other? i guarantee that at least 90 percent of compliments i get have something to do with my physical self. either i am wearing a cute outfit, or my hair looks nice, or i look like i've been working out (read: i look skinny). not that there is anything wrong with these compliments, and i certainly enjoy receiving them, but let's look at the long-term, unintended consequence. if, for example, i am always being complimented on my clothes, i am naturally going to put a lot of time and effort (and, in this case, money) into my wardrobe because i know from experience that i will be validated and valued if i do. but what if, instead, i was always being complimented for being a hard worker, an articulate speaker, a kind friend? it follows that i would put a lot of time and effort into those things instead. can you start to see the difference we could make? just by changing what we say? it's so simple it seems like it can't be true, but i really think it is. certainly as good a place to start as any.

and now, dear readers, a challenge, proposed by another woman at the retreat. it is this: no look-related compliments, for anyone, for a week. or a day or a month or however long you want to try. no, "you're so cute" or "OMG, i love your shoes!" but instead, "you are so thoughtful" or "i admire your organized closet." (hey, i said it was just a place to start.) i think we will all be surprised about the many different and substantive things we find to honor in each other. and ourselves. good luck! (and don't forget to report back!)

7 comments:

Kate said...

I accept your challenge, Frances, and begin now: You write a very fine, funny, and thoughtful blog!

Nathan Mathews said...

Frances,

I think that is a great idea, but I question if those type of compliments will be accepted. Meaning, that both parties have been programmed by society to give and accept physical compliments. This is especially hard in our age group of dating people, ie girl likes boy, he tells her, "That was nice of your to do/say that." Girl response, "thanks, but inside she says, well obviously he isn't attracted to me and I really like him." I would say that once a relationship is somewhat defined that ultimately it will grow and be nurtured further by the type of compliments that you are refering to, but trying to get that relationship started and defined . . .not so much!!!

Anonymous said...

i too accept your challenge my dear. i love reading your blog. this one reminded me of a feminist bookclub that i have been a part of for the past few months. i love discussing and informing myself about feminism.
-sending love from one feminist to another

madelyn said...

Frances you have a blog! I'm so excited to add you to the blogs I frequent. Feel free to stop by mine (www.mcaustintx.blogspot.com) if you want to see what I have been up to.

your cousin (2nd cousin actually)
Madelyn

Anonymous said...

Frances, I would also like to compliment you on having the Spirit of the Lord. And for dressing sufficiently. Rock on!!

suvi said...

dear frances.
I loved seeing you on Saturday for breakfast because you are full of wit and charm and great stories and are a friend I really like. How's that for non-physical compliments?

I've been bugged by this for a while, how much focus is put on the physical appearance compliments, especially when I end up in Utah. It was interesting to be at a wedding with a huge cold sore and have people not compliment me on looks (as would ususally occur) but rather on things they knew are happening in my life. I'll take that. and your challenge.

Katy said...

F(rances)!

...another very important F-word you know.

I would like to say I "stumbled" upon this blog entry, but really it's due to my cyber-stalking you. I like checking in on your blog to see what you're up to and I'm really glad I caught this one.

As a fellow feminist and woman of faith, I applaud you!

Katy
girlsguidetofaith.blogspot.com