Wednesday, June 4, 2008

sweet home sweet

since no one could remember the last time i had been in denver, it was about time i made a trip home. and even after a long absence, lots of things were the same. such as...

mom's delicious homemade tortillas...




dad refusing to have his picture taken. the only reason i got this one is because he was distracted from laughing about having given the camera the finger when i tried to take a picture a few seconds earlier...




dinner with steve and sarah, two of my most favorite, and their brood, including baby julia...








big baby brother...




afternoon thundestorms...




lunch with dad in downtown denver...



the mormon feminist rocky mountain retreat in winter park with mom (more on this later)...







and then some things were different. such as...

the cat.



mogli is not super new, but new enough that i sometimes still forget he exists. my family has never had a pet before, but they are completely obsessed with mogli. and i mean obsessed. they sit and watch him endlessly. my mom referred to him as "loquacious." my dad got me off the couch to take me into my parents' walk-in closet to show me where mogli had executed an amazing jump, every single detail of which dad could recount perfectly. my parents have been shopping for a new rug for the living room for more than a year and they finally found one they could agree on but didn't buy it because the cat wouldn't walk on it. i find all of this very bizarre.

massive deck/patio construction.






as with all my parents' home improvement projects, the deck renovation has spun slightly out of control. it is so big they have to display a building permit in the front window of the house at all times. but, the new patio is going to have a fireplace and a waterfall, and my mom already has a fancy new grill for the deck.

my room now = guest room.



the good news is there is a bigger, more comfortable bed in there than ever before. but, to make way for said bed, and other guest room acoutroments, i spent a large portion of my trip cleaning my stuff out. this involved getting rid of a lot of old clothes and sorting through hundreds and hundreds of papers, college notes and photographs, many of which ended up in the garbage.



a quick photographic perusal of my past revealed that i have made many a humiliating wardrobe and hairstyle misstep. an entire album of pictures from seventh grade went straight in the trash. but, i saved a few gems, which i just might scan into my computer and put up here some day for your enjoyment. keep your fingers crossed. this is all that remains of me at my parents' house. not bad, eh?




bike rack.




i would like everyone to know that baby brother ben and i removed my spare tire all by ourselves (i did the lug nuts) and attached this bike rack. i drove out to denver this time around so i could bring back some books and small pieces of furniture i had left there, and that meant i could take millie with me. which was good news because there are some awesome bike trails by my parents' house and i had a great time riding them.

and the drive wasn't too bad, either.





4 comments:

CL said...

I can't believe how big Ben is! You look tiny next to him but I happen to know we are close to the same size. Good job on the clean out! My bedroom became the guest bedroom very soon after I left. I think it's depressing...even with a bigger bed.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the potential new rug was not universally loved. Perhaps its greatest attraction was the entertainment of trying to drop the cat on it and watching his mid-air contortions to avoid landing on it.
Your former room looks wonderful and your big baby brother has followed your example, shoveling mountains of stuff out of his room and moving the furniture around. Someday that will be guest room number two.
-Mom

BagLady said...

Uh, you weren't kidding when you said your brother was really tall.

Kate said...

Seriously, how tall IS your brother now? Seeing him all grown up has made me feel kind of old. I think that will only get worse if I see a picture of you from seventh grade because it will remind me just how long ago that really was...