Friday, April 4, 2008

so say we all

this blog has been pretty light on the soul-baring confessional, but i am about to make a big share, so everyone get ready. it's time for me to just get it out there. i am addicted to "battlestar galactica."

there. i said it. i am addicted to the spaceships-and-robots, possible-end-of-humanity, purveyor-of-mystical-religious-dogma, sci-fi wonder that is "battlestar galactica." and, believe me, i am just as shocked as you. baffled, really. still completely mystified that i am drawn to my television like a junkie to crack, watching hours of episodes on end. i even went to the video store on a sunday-- a sunday!-- to rent the first disc of season two, because i couldn't stand to have the season one finale cliffhanger unsolved a moment longer. i know, i know. i probably need an intervention. but since i have brought my roommates down with me, i don't think there's much hope for any of us.

the catalyst for this downward spiral into science fiction obsession was chris, who told me for ages how awesome the show was. and i, as you might expect, dismissed it out of hand as something ridiculous that i would never like. but, it only took watching the pilot episode before i was depriving myself of sleep, night after night, to watch just one more episode, thinking of the galactica crew as my friends and family (especially dream-yacht lee adama), and worrying about possible cylon double-agents in my midst (those would be robots programmed to perfectly approximate human behavior until they are activated to carry out some deadly mission against humanity. don't judge me. please). i knew i was in deep when someone pointed out the constellation orion to me one night and i blurted out, with no thought at all, "orion points the way to earth!" brother. my subsequent rattling on about the arrow of apollo and the tomb of athena (like that's supposed to make me seem less insane) most definitely did not help my case.

ashamed and confused, i have held this a little-known fact for a long time. but, as today marks the premiere of the last season of BSG (yes, i am obsessed enough to abbreviate it), i felt like i should come clean. i have actually learned to embrace this newfound part of myself. i now see "battlestar galactica" as a tool for learning and awareness. the show intelligently addresses lots of present-day issues, including terrorism and torture and military occupation and abortion. not to mention spiritual "big issues," like The One True God and forgiveness and resurrection and redemption. it's almost like going to church. almost. and, have i mentioned lee adama is totally hot?






i thought so. join me, won't you?

2 comments:

chelle. said...

frances...i'm not sure if you remember me, but if you don't, i will hunt you down and make you remember me. hahaha. how the heck are you!?!! it's been awhile. i found your blog through some random blog-stalking and i was so excited i had to say hi, so "hi." hope things are well.

KerryAnne said...

So you don't know me at all but I found you on Caranine's blog while looking through her friends to find more people I knew. But I wanted to comment on this post...I love battlestar galactica! I got addicted to it watching in with my roommates in Provo. I can understand the fear of admitting your love for it...But what the Frack...I love it!